My article was published in Backpack ME on July 17, 2013 and you can read it and other fabulous entries for The Americas and Caribbean HERE!
Zara, travel writer and videographer of Backpack ME had this to say about my piece:
Admittedly, it was a little tricky to encapsulate my intrepid experiences in 300 words, but it was a good exercise in brevity. It also caused me to seriously ponder why I like to hike on the Nature Island. I never could have dreamed that I would have been able to cover so much ground on Dominica in 16+ years!
So let me share this secret with you and hope that it will inspire you to do something outside of your comfort zone today!
I like to hike on the Nature Island because:
- I feel so much better physically in pure clean air with no sources of pollution in sight.
- Being connected to nature – surrounded by so many shades of green is a visual delight!
- I am able to overcome psychological fears and physical limitations by thinking positively and believing in myself.
- I am always in the company of people who feel the same way I do about nature and physical activity.
- I can push myself a little, knowing that my companions support and encourage me.
- The physiological effects of the hike (endorphins and adrenalin, perhaps) give me a tremendous sense of well-being and calmness.
- Being surrounded by nature has given me an even greater respect for and desire to preserve our precious environment.
- It’s a great way to distract from worries and cares by experiencing and discovering something new or different on the trails.
- It gives me a tremendous sense of accomplishment to have completed a challenging trek.
- I can apply the life skills learned on the trail to everyday situations.
So, no matter where you are this summer, go and do something physical and perhaps a little more challenging than your usual routine in the great outdoors.
Let me know if it works for you!